Friday, October 6, 2017

Review: Political Justice by Dennis Carstens





                              Political Justice by Dennis Carstens
Release Date: October 1, 2017
Genre: Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
Source: Smith Publicity


Synopsis

A politically ambitious couple will stop at nothing to obtain the presidency. He is a popular governor of a western state. A philanderer, but charming, good-looking, charismatic, a dream candidate. Thomas Jefferson Carver is a capable administrator and attracts sycophants like moths to a flame. People willing to sacrifice themselves and anyone who opposes him. 
Darla Bunton Carver is the political brains behind their rise to power. Amoral and single-minded to the point of obsession it is her ambition to succeed her husband to become the first woman president of the United States. And nothing will stand in her way to achieve it. Including her husband’s numerous affairs, money scandals, homicide cover-ups, murder and even treason. Whatever is necessary. Their true goal? Power and wealth for themselves.




My Thoughts

A Marc Kadella mystery, Political Justice can be read as a standalone or apart of the series. This book definitely had me wanting more, which made me not want to put the book down. I finished the book in a day and a half (due to having to go too work) but I can't wait till the next one comes out. I really liked how realistic the characters and story line became the further I got into Political Justice. I will definitely be reading more from Dennis Carstens!


Buy Links





Author Q&A

1.       How long have you been writing? What genres have you written?
I actually wrote my first book The Key to Justice in 1999 – 2000. I tried to go the traditional route to get it published and was met with total disinterest and rejection. Discouraged, I did not take it up again until 2011. My son encouraged me to self-publish on Amazon. The response surprised me with its success which encouraged me to continue.
The legal world, murder mystery/courtroom drama is the only genre I have written so far. I am extremely interested and well-read in history and I have in mind a couple of historical novels based on actual events that I will eventually do.
2.      What has been the greatest influence on your writing?
I am a retired lawyer who always enjoyed a good legal genre novel. What got me interested in doing one is most of the books in the genre left me wondering if the author had ever seen the inside of a courtroom. Ever represented a live, human client with a real legal problem or tried to make a living practicing law. Some do such as Scott Turow and Steve Martini who are very experienced and very good. Then others such as John Grisham, James Patterson and Michael Connelly who clearly have no clue. I wanted to write more realistically about what it is like.
3.      Are you currently writing anything now?
I am about to start, and by the time you read this will have started, the eighth of the Marc Kadella legal mystery series. No, I am not going to tell you about it. Buy it, you’ll like it.
4.      How do you typically begin your projects?
To me the main thing I need to have mostly figured out before I start writing is the ending. I think it is very important to know where you are going so as not to wander off too far as can happen. Writing a book is almost like building a house. You build the story one step at a time. And just as building a house you better have a pretty good idea of what it is supposed to look like when you are finished.
I do not use a written outline. I know what my beginning is going to be, my ending and the middle. I keep a lot of notebooks around the house, especially by my bed, for when ideas pop into my head so I can make notes of it.
As for characters, this is the main thing I am trying to accomplish. I want to create an emotional tie between the reader and the characters (good or bad, favorable or unfavorable) to keep the reader engaged to find out how they all make out in the end. Several of my characters are in all of my books and I do keep a written profile of each to be consistent. I also do that with non-recurring characters for the same reason.
I normally focus on one book at a time but things come to me about future books. When this happens, I write up notes about it so as not to forget. Makin notes is extremely important. I once had a dream and I awoke in the middle of the night thinking about it. It was a great idea for a book. I laid in bed for at least twenty minutes thinking it through and was quite pleased about it. Instead of getting up and writing it down I was certain I would remember it in the morning. When I woke up I remembered having a dream, waking up and thinking about it but could not remember one thing about the dream itself. Still have not. Take notes. Do not rely strictly on your memory.
5.      What aspect of your writing do you consider your strength? Your weakness?
I prefer to have my characters tell my story with their actions and interactions and their dialogue. I do not use a lot of third party narration for this. I think it helps with character development, creates the reader-character bond and makes the story flow along better. When reading I can get a little bored with page after page of third party narration.
I am a lawyer, not a grammar expert. Apparently, there are people out there who believe they are. I have used the internet to check on grammar usage all the time and have found there are differing opinions on proper usage. If you think you are a grammar expert, you probably are not. At least others will disagree with you. Plus, I use dialogue the way people actually speak not the way your sixth grade English teacher tried to get you to speak.
6.      What are the next steps after publishing a book?
At first, I did nothing much except publish on Amazon and let them do the marketing. There are services out there who will work with you for a fee or commission to use Amazon and other book promo organizations to promote your book. I am just now starting to use them and it has worked for me. But, I was fortunate to do well right away which, from what I understand, is quite unusual.
7.      What advice would you give a writer who is starting out?
First of all, be disciplined. Writing a 300 plus page fiction novel is very difficult. It is a lot of work. There are millions of partially written manuscripts sitting in desk drawers in this country from people who found this out. They wanted to try it, and good for them, then got part way into it and ran out of ideas.
I treat writing like a job. I am retired but I get up every morning around 6:30 and am at the desk by 8:00 every day. I have a daily goal of what I want to accomplish and I get at it and work until I have it. If you are employed, make a schedule every week of times when you are going to write and stick to it. If you can’t be that disciplined, odds are pretty good you are going to fail. Know that going in.
So as not to be overly negative, it is also very rewarding. I am fortunate enough to have had some success and am making a pretty good living at it. I also like the creative side of it. Apparently, I have a fairly active imagination and creative streak. Not to brag but I have received more Five Star reviews from readers than all other reviews combined. Each time you get one of those it feels very gratifying to know that all of the work you put into the book was not a waste of time.
Write about what you know. If you are a doctor don’t write science fiction about interstellar space travel. You can do that but it will not seem factual.
Be realistic about your target market. I happen to have worked in a genre that is very popular with the reading public. My audience was quite large going in. Children’s books are enormously popular. For some reason people keep having babies and buying books for them to teach them to read. Apparently, no one tells them about dealing with teenagers. Books about the exciting life of a plumber, not so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment